There's nothing like the smell of cooking down apples for applesauce. I love making this in large batches and freezing portions for later.
- 7-8 lbs apples (I recommend apples that are somewhat tart)
- 1/2 C water
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Peel and cube all your apples.
- Add apples and water to a large pot. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 90 minutes or until the apples are broken down to your liking. I prefer mine with a few apple chunks in there.
- Add cinnamon and maple syrup, adjusting the amounts to your taste. I don’t add enough maple to actually sweeten the recipe but just enough to give it a hint of maple flavor.
- Chill and serve.
This is a large recipe but it freezes very well. I only kept a small amount in the fridge and put the rest in the freezer for later because I have a lot of apples to eat!