Dip-able sausage patties stuffed with eggs and spinach. Served with a dairy-free sausage gravy.
- 1 Tbsp lard or other cooking fat
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp almond milk or water
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 3 oz chopped spinach (I used frozen)
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 C full fat coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crack eggs into a bowl or blender bottle. Add almond milk, salt, and pepper. Whisk and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the fat over medium heat. Add spinach, onion, and a little salt and pepper. Cook until onions are softened and translucent.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and add egg mixture. Stir occasionally to keep the eggs from sticking to the pan. When the scrambled eggs are cooked to your liking, remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- When eggs are cool enough to handle, form a chunk of sausage into a thin patty, a little larger than the palm of your hand. Add eggs to the center and wrap the sausage around the eggs. The easiest way to do this is to hold the sausage in the palm of your hand, put the eggs in the center, then cup your hand up and use your other hand to coax the sausage all the way around the eggs. Reserve a small amount of sausage (about enough to make one sausage patty) to make the gravy.
- Once all of the breakfast dippers are formed, place back into the skillet over medium heat until sausage is fully cooked, flipping halfway through cooking. If the sausage starts getting too dark, add a little bit of water to the skillet.
- Set the cooked breakfast dippers aside but leave any fat in the skillet and add remaining ground sausage to the skillet. Break apart the sausage using a spatula then once it is fully cooked, add the coconut milk, salt, and plenty of pepper. Whisk arrowroot starch with a little bit of cold water then stir into the gravy. Allow the gravy to come to a slight boil to thicken then remove from heat.
- Serve breakfast bites with some gravy on the side for dipping.