“Cheesy” tuna noodle casserole without the dairy or gluten. This classic comfort food is ready to go in the oven in just 10 minutes.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 bag + 1/4 C Daiya mozzarella style shreds (just eyeball the amounts and feel free to blend in some cheddar style shreds too!)
- 4 C of your choice of gluten free noodles, prepared al dente according to package directions
- 2 cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/2 C peas, canned or pre-cooked
- salt to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the coconut milk and pepper. Once heated, whisk in the half bag of dairy free cheese until melted then remove from heat.
- Combine cooked noodles, tuna, and peas in a 7×11 (2 quart) casserole dish. Pour the sauce over the noodle mixture and add salt to taste, if needed. Give everything a good stir and top with an additional quarter cup or so of shredded dairy free cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until everything is heated thoroughly and the cheese is melted then serve.
For variations of this recipe, you could add other soft vegetables like cooked zucchini or red bell pepper. Bread crumbs are a popular topping on the classic dish so you could try some gluten free bread crumbs or even sprinkle some bacon crumbles on top for added flavor and texture.