Traditional tasting crème brûlée made dairy-free and paleo.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean
- pinch of salt
- 3 tsp coconut sugar
- 3 halved strawberries to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325ºF
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together coconut milk, honey, and salt. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and use a knife to scrape the insides out into the sauce pan. Cut the scraped vanilla bean into 2-3 pieces and add to the pan.
- Warm the mixture over medium heat while occasionally whisking. Allow the mixture to heat until hot but not boiling, about 10 minutes. You want to see steam begin to rise from the pan.
- As soon as the mixture is heated, immediately remove the from heat. Remove vanilla bean pieces with a slotted spoon.
- Slowly pour a small amount of the heated mixture into the egg yolks while constantly whisking. This tempers the eggs, or gradually brings them closer to the temperature of the dish they will be added to. So it basically prevents them from turning into scrambled eggs when you mix everything together.
- Now you can whisk the egg mixture into your saucepan with everything else. Divide this mixture equally between the 6 ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a metal baking dish. Add about an inch of hot water to the pan.
- Bake 30-45 mins until the middle of the custard is just barely set. It won’t be firm and will jiggle a little.
- Allow too cool then refrigerate wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container until thoroughly chilled.
- Immediately before serving, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of coconut sugar on top of each dessert. Tap on the sides of the ramekin to help distribute the sugar evenly.
- Tie your hair back and secure any loose clothing. Yes, I’m serious…and paranoid about lighting my hair on fire.
- Use a kitchen torch to carefully burn the sugar until it has melted and browned. If you don’t have a kitchen torch, these will only take about 3 or 4 minutes under a broiler to achieve the same effect.
- Garnish with halved strawberries, if desired, and enjoy! Tastes like the real deal, doesn’t it?