A gluten free, dairy free version of creamy chicken and biscuits. A creamy, cheesy mixture of chicken, veggies, and corn are topped with bisuits and baked.
- 1 tsp fat of choice for greasing dish
- 3 chicken breasts, diced into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 C chicken stock
- 1/2 C mushrooms, diced small (or 3/4 C sliced mushrooms if you want large pieces in the finished dish)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 oz dairy free cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 Tbsp cold tap water
- 2 C frozen veggie blend with corn (or whatever blend you like. Mine had corn, peas, carrots, and green beans).
- 1/2 C shredded dairy free cheddar, plus additional for topping
- 1 batch multi-purpose dough (wait until step 6 to prepare the dough)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and grease a 9×13 glass casserole dish with your choice of fat.
- Season the diced chicken with about 1/4 tsp salt and spread it evenly in the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. Stir halfway through cooking or every 10 minutes if more time is needed.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine the coconut milk, chicken stock, mushrooms, pepper, thyme, and additional salt to taste (depending on how salty your broth is. Remember you will add dairy free cheese later which is somewhat salty.) Bring contents to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- After the coconut milk mixture is finished simmering, whisk in the cream cheese until melted. In a small bowl, whisk together the tapioca starch and cold tap water until dissolved. Bring the pot back up to a simmer and whisk in the starch mixture to slightly thicken. Remove from heat.
- When the chicken is done baking, drain off any excess liquid and stir in the frozen veggie & corn mixture and the shredded cheese. Pour the contents of the saucepan into the casserole dish and stir well. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dough according to the recipe. Dust a clean work surface and rolling pin with additional tapioca starch. Roll out the dough but keep it somewhat thick – you should be able to cut out 6 circles using a coffee mug then roll it out again for an additional 2 circles.
- Top the baked chicken mixture with the biscuits you just cut out and top with additional cheese. Bake an additional 10-13 minutes or until biscuits are fully cooked. Note that the biscuits will NOT brown so be careful not to over bake them.
Prep time includes time to prepare the biscuit dough since you will be making it while the rest of the recipe bakes.