Gooey butter cake in the form of cookies. These gooey butter cookies use all dairy free and gluten free ingredients but taste just as good as the original.
- 8 oz dairy free Daiya plain cream cheeze style spread
- 1/2 C dairy free butter, softened (I used Earth Balance soy free sticks)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (omit if using Bob’s Red Mill brand of cake mix)
- 19 oz gluten free, dairy free yellow cake mix, unprepared (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cream together the cream cheese with the butter then stir in the egg and vanilla extract. Gradually add the cake mix a little at a time and stir until combined.
- Roll a piece of dough between your hands to a ball about an inch in diameter. (A little powdered sugar on your hands will help prevent sticking or use a small cookie scoop). Drop it into a bowl of powdered sugar to coat and place them on an uncreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the remainder of the dough and allow about an inch between each cookie. You should end up with approximately two dozen.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Unless all your cookies fit on one cookie sheet, you’ll need to do two batches. (If you use two racks in your oven, they will bake unevenly.)
- Allow the baked cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for about two minutes then move them to a cooling rack to finish cooling and immediately dust with more powdered sugar, if desired. Alternatively, you can dip them in extra powdered sugar once cooled or leave them as is.
Don’t need gluten free or dairy free? The dairy free cream cheese, dairy free butter, and the gluten free cake mix can all be swapped 1:1 for their traditional counterparts!