My family recipe for chop suey converted to an Instant Pot recipe for easy, one pot cooking. Also free of soy, gluten, eggs, dairy, and is completely paleo.
- 1 Tbsp lard or other cooking fat
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 C mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 C snow peas or sugar snap peas
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 C coconut aminos
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp fennel
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 5 C cooked rice or cauliflower rice
- optional: sliced green onion for garnishing
- Melt lard or other fat in an Instant Pot set to sauté. Do not cover with lid.
- Once the fat is hot, stir in garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, celery, snow peas, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Continue to sauté until the vegetables are softened, then turn off the heat and set the vegetables aside for later. If you can't keep them warm, you may refrigerate them.
- Once the vegetables are cooked and removed from the pot, whisk in the coconut aminos, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and fennel.
- Add beef and season with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Stir. Secure lid and set valve to sealing. Press the button that says "manual" then press the plus (+) button until the display reads 40 minutes.
- After the 40 minutes is up and the timer has gone off, wait for the pressure to naturally release as opposed to switching the valve to "venting". Once the pressure has released, you can then switch the valve to "venting" to ensure all the pressure is gone and then remove the lid.
- Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the juices in the pot. Press the "sauté" button. Once the juices start to bubble, whisk together the starch and water in a separate bowl then whisk this mixture into the pot. Allow to thicken slightly.
- Stir the beef and vegetables back into the pot with the sauce. Give the vegetables a few minutes to heat back up then turn off the heat. Serve over rice and garnish with some sliced green onion, if desired.
This recipe assumes the user is familiar with and knows how to use an Instant Pot. Always read and follow the manufacturers instructions before attempting to make a recipe in your Instant Pot.