Buttery yet light and silky, these vegan mashed carrots cook for 5 minutes in the Instant Pot. Perfect for Thanksgiving or enjoy them as a side anytime!
- 2 lb carrots
- 1 C water
- 3 Tbsp dairy free butter, I used Earth Balance soy free baking sticks
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Peel and chop the carrots.
- Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot and place a steamer basket inside. Put the chopped carrots into the steamer basket. (Note that my steamer basket doesn't have the little feet on the bottom to keep it from sitting in the water. To fix the problem, I put a steamer rack underneath it. See photos below.)
- Secure the lid on your Instant Pot and set the valve to "sealing". Press the manual button and change the time to 5 minutes. Once the carrots finish cooking, do a quick pressure release by switching the valve to "venting". After all of the pressure is released, you can remove the lid.
- Use oven mitts to remove the steamer basket of carrots and dump them into a food processor while they are still warm. Add the dairy free butter, brown sugar, salt, and thyme.
- Purée the carrots in the food processor until all of the lumps are gone and everything is thoroughly mixed, then it is ready to serve.
This recipe assumes the user is familiar with and knows how to use an Instant Pot. Always read and follow the manufacturers instructions before attempting to make a recipe in your Instant Pot.
Potential allergens in this recipe may vary due to brands of ingredients used, product reformulations, etc. Please verify that all your ingredients are safe for you to consume and always be mindful of allergen cross contamination while cooking.
Note that peeling the carrots is necessary for a smooth result.
If you don't have an Instant Pot, these can be made on the stovetop too. Put the peeled and chopped carrots in a saucepan on the stove and add just enough water to cover them. Put the lid on the saucepan and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until the carrots are very soft. Drain off the water then follow the instructions for finishing them in the food processor starting at step 4.