An easy version of magic cookie bars made gluten free and dairy free with optional candied nuts and sunbutter drizzle.
- 1 box gluten free Schär honeygrams (or 160g of another gluten free honey graham cracker)
- 4 tbsp dairy free butter substitute, melted (I used Earth Balance soy free buttery sticks)
- 1 can (11.25 oz) sweetened condensed coconut milk, or homemade
- 1 C shredded or flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 C allergy-friendly chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 C chopped nuts of choice or chopped candied nuts
- 1 Tbsp Sunbutter, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease an 8x8 inch glass baking dish.
- Use a food processor to break the graham crackers down into fine crumbs. If you don't own a food processor, you can put the crackers in a sealed gallon freezer bag (squeeze the air out before sealing) and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Mix the crumbs with the melted butter substitute and press into an even layer on the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk on top of the graham cracker layer then top with the coconut then nuts and chocolate chips. If you'd like to add butterscotch chips, reduce the amount of nuts and chocolate chips a bit and see the notes section below.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until the coconut begins to toast.
- If you're adding the sunbutter then while the magic cookie bars cool, warm the sunbutter in the microwave for a few seconds until runny (try 10 seconds at a time). Drizzle this over the bars.
- Allow bars to cool completely before cutting and serving them. Once they are no longer hot, you can put them in the fridge to re-solidify the chocolate quicker, if you like.
Optional: If you're really missing the butterscotch chips in this recipe, I found a recipe for gluten free, dairy free butterscotch chips that you can make at home!