- 1 C almond flour
- 1 C pecans, lightly chopped
- 1/2 C coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 C coconut oil
- Line a 13 inch/8 quart cast iron pan with parchment paper. Preheat with matching lid over an open fire.
- Meanwhile, Stir together the almond flour, pecans, coconut sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cut in coconut oil using a fork and set aside.
- Once the pan is hot, melt the coconut oil in the pan then stir in the frozen cherries. Stir occasionally until the cherries are broken down a bit.
- Whisk together tapioca starch and cold water until the starch is dissolved. Stir into the cherries then stir in the chocolate chips. Distribute mixture evenly across the pan.
- Evenly spoon the almond flour mixture on top of the cherries and cover with the preheated lid. Use long tongs to cover the lid with hot coals and let cook 20-30 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned. Change out the hot coals as often as necessary.
- Once the topping is browned, remove the coals and remove the cherry crisp from the heat. Allow to cool a bit and serve warm topped with ice cream, if desired.