- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 C spaghetti sauce
- 1 large sweet potato (about 500g) *see notes
- 1 Tbsp cooking fat such as lard or coconut oil
- 4 green bell peppers
- optional: mozzarella or dairy free cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meats with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder until fully cooked. Remove from heat and stir in the spaghetti sauce.
- Peel the sweet potato, then use a spiralizer or julienne peeler to make “noodles”.
- Heat the fat in a skillet over medium heat then add the sweet potato noodles. Use tongs to stir the noodles and make sure they are coated in the fat. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until softened.
- Cut the tops off each bell pepper and remove the seeds and membranes. Place these upright in a glass baking dish. Stuff the noodles then meat sauce evenly into each of the peppers. If you’re adding cheese, bake for 35 minutes then add cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Otherwise, bake without cheese for 40-45 minutes or until the bell pepper softens.
If you don’t like the idea of sweet potato noodles because they might be too sweet for the dish, omit the fat and substitute about 500g baked spaghetti squash. You won’t need to sauté the “noodles” in a skillet (step 4) since the squash is already baked. I don’t recommend zoodles (zucchini noodles) because they will be too watery.