Gluten free, dairy free spiced apple muffins made from pumpkin seed flour with mahlab added for a unique flavor. Try them topped with coconut oil.
- 1 1/2 C pumpkin seed flour (or any other seed/nut flour)
- 1/4 C coconut flour
- 1/4 C + 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 C apples, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 C maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground mahlab, optional
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Place apples and 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook down apples, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until softened.
- While apples are cooking, use a mixer to combine wet ingredients (1/4 C coconut oil, eggs, and maple).
- Use a fork to combine dry ingredients (pumpkin seed flour, coconut flour, spices, baking soda, and baking powder.
- With mixer on lowest setting, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until well-combined.
- When apples are finished cooking, stir them and any juices by hand into the muffin mixture.
- Line a muffin pan with paper baking cups. Use a spoon to transfer the mixture to the muffin pans. It should make about 10 muffins.
- Bake muffins 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
If you can’t find mahlab, you can either just leave it out or substitute a few drops of almond extract.