Gluten free avocado fries seasoned with a hint of cayenne are served with jalapeño cilantro dip made from dairy-free yogurt. Makes a great appetizer
For the fries:
- 3 barely ripe avocado
- 1/4 C almond flour
- 1/2 C tapioca starch
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- coconut oil or lard, for frying
For the dip:
- one 6 oz container of dairy or nondairy plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped jalapeño
- Add yogurt, cilantro, and jalapeño to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Whisk egg in a small, shallow bowl and set aside. Whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, salt, pepper, and cayenne in another shallow bowl and set that aside.
- In a medium skillet, preheat a thin layer of oil over medium-high heat.
- Cut both avocados in half and remove the pit. Without removing the avocado from the skin, use a knife to slice the avocado lengthwise into 4 equal pieces without cutting through the skin. Use a soup spoon to gently separate the slices from the skin.
- Dip each slice in the egg mixture then coat in the flour mixture.
- Add slices to the hot oil. Use a spatula to flip the slices after 30 seconds to a minute when the breading has become golden brown on one side.
- Once all the breading has browned, remove from oil and let dry on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Serve fries while warm with the dipping sauce.