A hearty breakfast casserole with layers of roasted potatoes, seasoned black beans, greens, eggs, and dairy free cheese. Omit eggs for vegan option.
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 8 oz enchilada sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- hot sauce and/or cayenne pepper to taste, optional
- 2 C spinach
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 C Daiya cheddar style shreds
- 6 eggs (omit for vegan option)
- jalapeno slices, halved cherry tomatoes, salsa, and/or avocado slices for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Peel (if desired) and dice the potatoes into bite sized chunks. Toss in the oil, salt, and pepper then place in a single layer in a 7x11 inch glass baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, stir together the beans, enchilada sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, plus cayenne or hot sauce to taste if you want the dish to be spicy. Loosely cover and microwave on high for 8 minutes, stirring halfway through. (You an cook these on the stovetop too if you prefer.)
- When the potatoes are down, remove from oven and reduce the temperature to 350ºF.
- Give the potatoes one last stir then use the back of a spoon to gently press the potatoes into a solid "crust" layer without any gaps.
- Pour the black beans on top of the potatoes and use a spatula to spread them out evenly.
- Roughly chop the spinach and mix with the chives. Sprinkle this over the bean layer. If you want to top this with eggs, then use the back of a spoon to make 6 evenly spaced indentions to hold the eggs. Crack an egg into each indention and top with additional salt and pepper and shredded cheddar.
- Return to the oven for an additional 10-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your preference or until the dairy free cheese is melted if you are not using eggs. Cut into 6 servings then add any additional toppings you might want (jalapeño slices, halved cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, salsa,...). Enjoy.
This is also great wrapped in a tortilla!