A weeknight dinner customized with ingredients you have on hand and what's currently in season. Easy and makes plenty of leftovers, if you aren't too hungry!
- 2-3 Tbsp fat
- 10 oz starchy vegetables, diced small
- 1 lb non-starchy vegetables, frozen or fresh and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 lbs ground meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce for topping, optional
- red pepper flakes for topping, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of fat then add the starchy vegetable. Salt to taste. Occasionally turn the vegetables until they have cooked through then remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add more fat to the skillet, if needed, and dump in the non-starchy vegetables. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Allow those to cook until soft, then remove those from the skillet as well.
- Turn up the stovetop to medium-high heat and start cooking the ground meat. Sprinkle on plenty of salt and pepper and chop up the meat into pieces with a spatula as it cooks.
- Once the meat is thoroughly cooked, add the vegetables back to the skillet and mix everything together (or serve in "layers" like I did in the photo).
- Serve as-is or top with some hot sauce and/or red pepper flakes.
Replace the starchy vegetables with more non-starchy vegetables for a lower carb meal.
Different vegetables may take more or less time to cook.
Here are the ingredients I used for the photographed recipe:
fat: bacon fat
starchy vegetables: plantains (ok, so that's technically a fruit...)
non-starchy vegetables: frozen broccoli and red bell pepper strips
ground meat: beef