Spiced fried apples can be enjoyed as a sweet side dish, as dessert over ice cream or cheesecake, or for breakfast on french toast or crepes.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 apples, cored and sliced
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp tapioca starch, optional
- 1 tsp cold tap water, optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- While the oil melts, whisk together the maple syrup and spices in a small bowl. Once the oil is hot, add apples and syrup mixture then toss to coat.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until desired softness is achieved (about 10-15 mins). Remove the apple slices with a slotted spoon, leaving the liquid behind. If the liquid is too thin, go to step 4. Otherwise, skip to step 5.
- In a small bowl, whisk together starch and water until dissolved. Whisk that mixture into the juice and allow to thicken for a few seconds over the heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Pour the juices back over the apples, toss to coat, then serve. See notes below for serving ideas.
You can enjoy these apples as-is or use them as an ingredient or topping in another treat. These would be great on ice cream, cheesecake, waffles, or in a crepe. I served mine over french toast!