Don’t let this discourage you from making this, but “ricing” cauliflower is the messiest thing ever! I used to run it over a cheese grater. That will never ever happen again. Now I use a food processor but it’s too small so I have to run lots of little batches through and set finished batches aside in a bowl until it’s ready to use. I wonder if a potato ricer would work for this or if it would make the pieces too small. Definitely trying it next time I buy cauliflower!
I almost feel like if you added enough chicken to this, it could be a meal by itself. It’s actually really filling. On the other hand….I may or may not have a recipe in the works that this would go great with. Just saying :)
Spanish rice with chicken made paleo by using cauliflower in place of traditional rice.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/3 C chicken stock
- 8-10 oz boneless chicken
- 3 Tbsp pork fat
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, diced with seeds removed
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 1 Tbsp of the fat. Place chicken in a glass baking dish. Pour melted fat over the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover dish with foil and bake 30-40 mins or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Allow chicken to cool enough to handle and shred with a fork.
- While chicken bakes, cut cauliflower into florets. Add to a food processor and pulse until it is the size of rice. You may have to do this in small batches.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of pork fat. Stir in minced garlic, making sure it does not burn.
- Once garlic is heated (you will start to smell it), add rice, bell pepper, onion, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat the vegetables in the fat then stir in the broth and tomato paste. Cook until vegetables are soft and the liquid has been incorporated.
- Now you can add your cooked, shredded chicken, cumin, chili powder, and tomatoes. Continue to cook until everything is thoroughly heated, then serve.