I have no idea who originally came up with the chocolate chip cheesecake dip recipe that I’ve been enjoying all these years but my aunt originally introduced me to it. It was basically cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips mixed together with graham crackers to dip in it. Well, I can’t eat 40% of those things anymore and shouldn’t be eating the other 60% so a dairy-free, gluten-free version was definitely needed! Oh, and it’s vegan and paleo too if that’s your thing. Maybe pushing the definition of paleo but it is what it is.
I had a hard time coming up with something good to replace graham crackers in this recipe. I could have toasted some cinnamon pecans or used a sturdy fruit like apple slices but the point of the graham crackers was to be like a graham cracker cheesecake crust. Sure, I could have attempted a graham cracker recipe but simple is always better. (Be honest, if I posted a graham cracker recipe, would you make that from scratch or just grab a spoon and start shoveling the cheesecake dip in? I know what I would do.) I finally decided on store-bought sweet (ripe) plantain chips instead. They’re crunchy, sweet, and although they don’t taste like graham crackers, with a little dusting of cinnamon, they make a great graham cracker substitute.
I’ve made plantain chips from unripe plantains but never sweet plantains. I feel like they wouldn’t crisp up without using a dehydrator or something. Has anyone had success making them? If so, definitely teach me your mad-awesome-plantain-master-voodoo-magic-ninja skills in the comments section. That’d be great, thanks.
One important thing to note is that even though this recipe is super simple and quick, you’ll want to make this at least a day in advance as it requires some extra time to soak the cashews and chill the mixture. 4 hours to soak and 4 hours to chill but it doesn’t hurt to let them go a little longer if you want to just leave it overnight.Print
A dairy free, vegan, and paleo version of chocolate chip cheesecake dip with cinnamon dusted plantain chips for dipping in place of graham crackers.
- 1 C cashews, soaked 4 hours or overnight then brought to room temperature
- 1/4 C coconut oil, melted
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 3.25 oz bag sweet (ripe) plantain chips
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Drain water from cashews and add them to a blender or food processor along with the melted coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut sugar. Blend until smooth and ingredients are fully mixed.
- Transfer mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
- Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and use a hand mixer to fluff it up a little. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon the dip into a serving bowl and leave at room temperature to serve. Dust the plantain chips with the cinnamon and serve alongside the dip.
Allow at least 4 hours to soak cashews and another 4 hours to allow the dip to chill.
I usually refrigerate my cashews as they soak then bring them to room temperature before using them. Bringing them to room temperature prevents the dip from becoming lumpy.
Serves about 4 people. Double or triple the recipe if you want to share this at a party.