When I received a box of Harry and David pears for Christmas, I was immediately reminded of a dessert I used to make. Poached pears for me used to consist of pears simmered in water with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and topped with chocolate or caramel syrup (yep, the stuff in the squeeze bottle) and whipped cream. Just thinking about that gives me a toothache! Don’t get me wrong, I love sugar. However, I definitely don’t feel well when I eat that much of it and really, how much sugar does fruit even need? So I swapped some things out to make a treat that won’t make me need a nap after eating it. I love naps too. I just like to have a choice of whether or not I take one.
If you’ve never made poached pears before, it sounds fancy but it’s actually really simple. It’s not like eating a fresh pear. The pears are served hot and become softened with a vanilla/maple aroma to them. I really like the raspberry dark chocolate topping but it also goes well with ice cream or whipped cream. Try it!!!
Pears are poached in vanilla and maple then topped with a melted dark chocolate mixed with cooked raspberries and ginger.
- 5 C water
- 3/4 C maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 pears, peeled (best if just barely ripened and somewhat firm)
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 C raspberries
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- In a saucepan, combine water and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally to keep the syrup from burning on the bottom.
- While waiting for the water to boil, place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 30 seconds then stir. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted – about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Mash up raspberries with a fork and stir into the melted chocolate along with the ginger. Set aside.
- When the water starts to boil, remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Place back on burner on medium-low heat and once the water returns to a simmer, add pears. You may need to add the pears in two batches. Simmer the pears until softened.
- Slice the pears and top with a spoonful of the raspberry chocolate. Serve immediately.